Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thankful

I am back from New York and from visiting college friends and ready to get into the blogging world again. It has taken me a while to also think about what I wanted to say/how I wanted to say these things. A week without writing will do you in thats for sure...so here it goes.

Many of my posts have been about friendships and community, but one community I have not talked about in great detail is the community that I was born into-My Family. I have been blessed beyond measure to have a wonderful and supportive family unit. This week I have come to realize how even more blessed I am to be apart of my family.


While in New York, I have gotten to laugh, cry and push myself to the limit with walking with my family. I have gotten in arguments with my sister and five minutes later we are fine. We talk about how we would never be good Amazing Race partners due to our dispiutes but maybe they would take us just for entertainment. We have laughed at the different ways we can smile, the crazy comments that come out of my mouth (things that I don’t even think about before I say). We have enjoyed each other’s company and just being together.

I am also glad that my family is so welcoming to my boyfriend to make him feel like one of us. Its tuff stuff to be a Hill, and he fits in just fine. He packs up apartments with my Dad like a pro, he makes comments about how I need to try my food of a weird color before I decide that I don’t like it like my sister, and he can pull jokes like them best of them on any of us. I could not ask for anyone to fit in better to our family than Brett does. He goes with the flow during the moments he needs to and cares for everyone that cares for us.

The main reason I got to go to New York was to see my sister graduate from Columbia University with her Masters Degree in Social Work. She completed this degree in one year and that just makes me so very proud of her. Not only did she pack up her whole life in one van and drive up to New York one July night to embark on this Journey she finished it strong and will be one amazing Social Worker. Paula has taught me many things in my life, but being a caring individual is one of the biggest things she has taught me. Paula has taught me to Love people til it hurts and then someone. I know we are so very different, but if I can at least be half as great as a person she is when I am her age, I’ll be doing great.

I have looked up to her my whole life. She is such an example to me of how to live without letting fear get the best of you. She could have told God that she wasn’t going to embark on the journey of Columbia due to financial reasons, distance from home, and the fear of being in a HUGE city without knowing anyone but she didn’t not put a limit to the plan that God had for her and she still isn’t.

As I type this I think about the quote “Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams"

Live your life without limits. Don’t set limits for God, because he has HUGE plans for you. If you tell God you cannot do something (in my experience) your more than likely going to be doing it. Take the leap of faith, trust God and his perfect plan for your life, and live radically for him while doing it.

Remember:
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and future." Jeremiah 29:11

"Many are the plans in a mans heart, but it is the Lords purpose that prevails" Proverbs 19:21


Love,
Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment