Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My faith Story

Last semester my sorority was voting between two books they wanted to study for our bible studies this semester. They were between Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick and The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel. Both books sounded very interesting to me and I was happy with either way the vote turned out. Sun Stand Still won the vote, and the book was life changing. After reading the book, I knew that I wanted to dive right into another book study on my own. I choose The Christian Atheist to see what it was all about.
In reading the first chapter of this book I knew that it is going to be life changing, and I want to encourage you blog readers as I read this book. We are all sometimes Christian Atheists that do not realize we are one. A Christian Atheists is as defined by Groeschel is where people believe in God but live as if he does not exist. When I first read this sentence I was said to myself, this doesnt define me. I go to church, I read my bible, I pray, I do good deeds but my friends Christianity is SO much more than going to church, reading the bible, praying and doing good deeds. And that is where your faith story comes in. Many people look the part of a christian, but they have not fixed their hearts on a full and complete relationship with God.
As I was reading in The Woman I am Becoming, T. Susan Eller talks about our faith story. She points out three principles of faith:
1. Faith is meant to be personal.
Our faith should be our own. It should not fall into the beliefs of others nor built on sermons you've never investigated for yourself. Faith defines who you are. You could relate to the good girl, always doing right, growing up in church your whole life, and striving to please God in everything you do. Or you could have a different story...you could have known about God, made a lot of mistakes, and then found God again. Eller points out that you must find the depths and heights of knowing God.
2. Faith can withstand intellectual exploration
There is plenty of room for doubt and questions about God and Christianity. Our story will forever be a growing process for our walks with Christ.
3. Faith isnt about your goodness.
Faith is not about YOU. You have "been crucified with Christ" and you are now to let God show you how to identify yourself completely with him. Our faith is not about pleasing God, it is about learning how to trust him with our whole hearts. You and I become smaller as he becomes larger in our lives. Spending time alone with God becomes our tradition because we gain our strength from those hours. When we approach God, we find what we need. We dont have to pretend, or wear masks, or walk in with shame. God loves us despite our weakness and wants us to trust him through the pain.

Your story has already began, now it is time to listen to it. God already knows what is going on daily in your life. Find the strength, encouragement, maturity, and peace through faith with him. You will also see new paragraphs unfold, questions emerge, and exclamation points that you want to shout HALLELUIAH about, but God will be with your through every step.

"And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him."
-from 2 Corinthians 3

Love,
Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment