Saturday, March 19, 2011

finding joy through spark plugs

My boyfriend is a CAR FREAK! He knows all about cars and could take it apart and put it back together again. For the two years that we have dated his car fetish has been something that I have just rolled my eyes too and tried to look over the constant tinkering and changing of anything known to man on his car.

Today is the day that it all changed though. My car had been acting weird for the past week and I took it to the shop only to find nothing wrong with it. I knew in my heart there was something wrong with my car-I however know only how to drive, reverse, park and put gas in my car. Anything past that is over my head. But thankful my sweet boyfriend was at my rescue.
After driving my car, he thought it could be my spark plugs...to make a long story short it was in fact my spark plugs. Instead of just changing them himself he took the time to show me how and to also let me change three myself-and we had a BLAST!
Though I hate cars and dont know what tools I used or what parts of my car I was touching, I know how to do it, and I enjoyed doing something that gives my boyfriend so much joy in doing. He enjoys getting his hands dirty, using his muscles to pull apart an engine- I do not, but I found joy today- and he found joy teaching me, and watching my clueless self learn how to do it.
It would not be a project without pictures, so here are pictures of me in action. I hope you find joy this week even in things that you may not like to do.



As I continue this relationship, I know there are many more things that I will have to do because it gives him joy- just like he does things for me because they give me joy. But that is all part of love, you do things for the other that you might not always do and you find out that you had fun along the way. I encourage you this week to do something this week with your significant other that you necessarily would not do, or you may hate that they do. Find the joy in doing it together and spending that time with each other and you will gain a whole different appreciation for that other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment