Monday, March 21, 2011

March 21-Not just any day

Today is not just any day. Today is a day of Celebration. Its a day to be thankful and to show Love. Today is National Down Syndrome Awareness Day.
This year has been a big movement in me learning about the Down Syndrome Community. For a project last semester I was given the privilege of observing a child for the whole semester with Down Syndrome. At first I was so nervous because I did not know a lot about Down Syndrome even though I have an older cousin who has a diagnosis of Down Syndrome. As I was doing my observations my roommate showed me a blog that I have been following ever since "Enjoying the Small Things". I fell in love with their story! And I knew that I was being drown to work with this group of children in some way after Graduation. I have also found several other blogs of mothers with children with diagnosis' of Down Syndrome, but another favorite is Raising Reid. These two moms have truly captured the spirit of Love brought from both of their children-and I love sharing that with them by reading their blogs.

I have looked into many options of where I could work with this population after I graduate from ASU in two years, but I am also still looking-so if you readers have any ideas feel free to let me know them! I have the heart and passion to see these children accomplish great things despite their diagnosis. They are just like you and me. I found this poem on the internet and I it fits too well not to share.

My face may be different
But my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry
And I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you
To teach you to love
As god in heavens
Looks down from above
To him I’m no different’
His love knows no bounds
It’s those here among you
In cities and towns
That judge me by standards
That man has imparted
But this family I’ve chosen
Will help me get started
For I’m one of the children
So special and few
That came here to learn
The same lessons as you
That love is acceptance
It must come from the heart
We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start
The Lord gave me life
To live and embrace
And I’ll do as you do
But at my own pace

Happy National Down Syndrome Awareness Day!

Special thanks to all of those families who have embraced the Journey of an extra chromosome. You are loved, your child is loved! Today is a day for you!

Love,
Mindy



No comments:

Post a Comment