Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Woman I am becoming

Yesterday I finally got to go shopping (something I have not gotten to do since the semester started.) My sweet boyfriend Brett told me that we could go to Hickory and go to Old Navy, Target and anywhere else I wanted to go with no complaints of how long I spent in one store coming from him. So I decided to take this opportunity and run with it-because they do not come every day.

Once I got into Old Navy I spotted the new ankle jeans that they have ever so frequently sent emails and commercials my way every time I watched TV. I dug through the piles of jeans, and found my size and put them in the pile for the dressing room. Once I walked into the dressing room, I felt something that anyone HATES to feel. That feeling that nothing looks good, and nothing fits, that feeling that you are HUGE-but you know your not HUGE! As I stood standing in the mirror waiting on a text back from my sister giving me here opinion on the jeans I had on, I started saying things to myself about my body-mean things! Things I would not really ever say unless I was in that situation.

As I stood in that dressing room the lower my feelings of my body image slid down. Needless to say I walked out of the store with nothing in my hand, and a bad attitude about myself.
Once I got home that night still feeling upset I picked up a new book that I have started ready by T. Suzanne Eller called, The Woman I Am Becoming. It just so happened that the chapter I read last night spoke right to me-I do believe almost all of the chapter is highlighted!

In this chapter Eller talks about how special we are though we do not fit into the molds of our society, and being true to yourself is vital. I have never had a poor body image, but why was I having such a difficult time in the dressing room that night? As I continued reading there was a section that just stabbed my heart. As I was standing in the Old Navy dressing room, I was pulling out things I thought were wrong with my body. But I was also "telling God that he didnt know what he was doing when he created me!"
"God knows you. He formed you. Your quirks. Your laugh. Your funky or traditional personality. Stop fighting against that, and stop molding yourself or your passions to look like someone else." God gave me curves, God gave me bigger bones, God made me! I am fearfully and wonderfully made! I would look sick if I was as skinny as some of my friends-even though they look great! God made me! I cant say it enough.
Maybe I am the only girl that has meltdowns in the dressing room, but tonight I have discovered a new approach. God made me, he made no mistakes, and I am comfortable in the skin I am in. Instead of looking in the mirrors and telling God what he did wrong, I am going to praise him for what he did right!

Love,
Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment